Sunday, September 30, 2007

Okay okay trying to keep up

Hey everyone,

Well this is better than before, only a couple of weeks since my last post. But its been an eventful couple of weeks! Another step in adulthood. We just bought our first new car! It's a 2007 Honda Accord 4-door, EX-L, V6, in metallic graphite. Its an amazing car - sporty and luxurious, and fast. 240 horsepower! Only thing we didnt get was the Navigation, a bit expensive. I can't believe I'm saying this, but we did have to consider having a car that would work when we have kids. Yup, we thought about something smaller and sportier, but we worried about a carseat. So our top choices were the Prius (hybrid, cool and different), Camry SE (sporty, but still has stigma of a "camry"), and '08 Accord (but expensive as its brand new). But we got a great deal on the 2007 model, and we love it.





In addition, our friends Amy and Nate just got engaged! Amy is one of Nicole's close friends, and they were in PA school at Emory together. Nate planned a big surprise, where he took Amy to the Bahamas and proposed to here there, without her ever knowing a single detail. He never even told her he got a ring until he proposed! Nate also surprised her by having us secretly going on the trip with them! We had a great time, and Amy was swept off her feet with the proposal.

Nate asked me to join him on this trip to the Bahamas, for the whole purpose of proposing to Amy, more than 8 months ago. I tried to keep it from Nicole as well, but she's too smart and figured out what we were doing. Nicole and I flew from Durham to a connecting flight in Atlanta, where we surprised Amy and Nate! Then we flew together to the Bahamas, and had an awesome time. The resort (Sheraton at Our Lucaya) was absolutely beautiful, and very quiet since it was the "slow" (aka Hurricane) season. Luckily, only a few showers, otherwise it was sunny and warm! We spent time poolside, on the beach, sailing Hobie Cats, and enjoying jerk chicken. Not to mention, the exciting engagement on the docks surrounded by a beautiful harbor and yachts!

Here are some more pics:











Well I just started a rotation in the MICU (medical intensive care unit). But this time, I'm a resident, not an intern. Overnight, its just me and my intern. I now have the responsibility of making decisions for these critically ill patients. I'll have to decide if they need to be intubated (have a tube inserted into their lungs and hooked up to a breathing machine), or if they have come to the point where we recommend withdrawing care. If a patient "codes" (or has a suddent serious event like a cardiac arrest, or can't breathe, or becomes unresponsive), they call the "code" over the entire hospital intercom, and we are the ones who have to respond immediately and decide what to do in the emergency setting. Whew, its quite anxiety-provoking to have to be this person to make the call! I guess I feel "slightly" prepared for these situations...whereas last year as an intern, I felt in no way prepared. Of course, we always have people above us where we can ask questions, but they are at home. We are the ones who are there, and we're the first call. Eek!
One more thing...HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! (Sep 29)
More later...and thanks those who are still reading!
Alan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed that you are already writing again! Who gets to drive the new car? When are you coming to Tampa?