I'm always hearing about Al-Queda, Iraq, Afghanisttan, the ideologic struggles between Republicans and Democrats.
I'm always wondering what the hell drives people to do things. Why are Islamic extremists so hateful of the West? Why did Bush invade Iraq?
I'm no expert on history at all. In fact, I really know nothing about how we got to where we are, and where the current struggles of the world came from.
Anyways, I get snippets here and there from tv shows, movies, etc...and though they are certainly biased, they do their job...they make you think and wonder.
I just finished watching Charlie Wilson's War, a movie with Tom Hanks. It's about Charlie Wilson, a politician who had a large influence in providing US covert aid to the Mujahideen (sp?), a group in Afghanistan during the late 80's/early 90's who opposed Soviet intrusion into Afghanistan. It was a part of the Cold War that I really didn't know much about. Great movie, and eye opening.
After watching the movie, I started wondering about the Cold War and this Afghanistan thing a little more. I realized that I didn't remember much of the US history/World history I learned in high school, and what I did learn was probably very basic and very biased.
There are a few (biased, I'm sure) articles that I read, that at least shed some light on some perspectives.
http://michaeljohnsonfreedomandprosperity.blogspot.com/2008/01/charlie-wilsons-war-was-really-americas.html
If I had more time, I would love reading more stuff like this. I love conspiracy theories and world history...but I think its because I really love trying to figure out...why people are the way they are.
Anyways, if you're interested, there's another cool show that Andy Krueger pointed out to me, that was pretty informative. It's all about President Bush and the background for going into Iraq. I watched it a year ago...and already I forget the main reason why he went into Iraq.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/bushswar/
The blog is back! (I hope...)
Alan
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment