Friday, June 02, 2006

Almost done, and yet just beginning

Hey everyone! It's been a long while since I've updated the blog, sorry about that. The craziness is almost done...and yet just beginning. Just to recap what the last few weeks have been like for us...

May 6 - got married!
May 7-11 - closed on house, did house and lawn work
May 12-15 - graduation weekend
May 15 - I officially became a doctor!
May 16-23 - Honeymoon in St. Lucia!
May 25 - Amy graduates from Hillsborough!
May 28 - Mintz and Kitner get married in Dallas
May 29 - finally back in Atlanta, and now cleaning and packing our apartment
June 9 - moving day - to North Carolina

So finally this is the first breather Nicole and I have gotten, yet right now we are in the midst of packing for the move. Well, well, let me tell you about our wedding!! Everyone who is reading this was probably there, but hey, I'll just highlight it... We had 140 of our closest friends and family join us at the Atlanta History Center. The ceremony was outside at the Swan House, and the reception was at the Ballroom. It really was fantastic!

We had a great time, loved seeing everyone, and partied it up! The band was awesome, and played the best music. Tyler was jamming to Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch at the end of the night! Bryan played his piece which was very sweet, and then encored with the band with all the ladies drooling over him (Reeves!). We were so fortunate, since it rained Friday and Sunday, but it was beautiful on Saturday.

The only gripe was the caterer. Their food was great, but their service at the tables was a bit too aggresive. They would always take full drinks off the table, take food away before we had a chance to eat it, and even took our chopstick favors away! Otherwise, it was an extraordinary wedding. Our wedding planner did a great job, the cake was awesome, and Bridgette our officiant was simply fantastic. Quite an expensive wedding... I can't believe how much we spent, but we had an awesome time from beginning to end.

My beautiful bride Nicole is now my wife, Nicole Cheng! She is such a wonderful woman and person, and we're looking forward to our new life together!

My vows to Nicole:
Nicole, you make me want to be a better person, a better man, and in my eyes you are beautiful and perfect, and you make me want to be the husband of your dreams.
I promise, for now and ever, that I will love you, deeply, tenderly, and completely.
I promise to always communicate with you, and always be open to change.
I promise to support you, and respect you, as my wife and my best friend.
I will always be committed to you, for from this point on, you are the most important person in my life. I love you.

(I find out later that at the reception, my dad nudges my mom and says she's the most important person in his life....very good dad, very good!)

We should be getting pictures next week, so when we get them I'll post a link to them on Shutterfly. See some prelim pics here, of the rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, and wedding. (courtesy of Jeannie and Robert)

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbNWbFwzauHIQ

------------------------------------------------

Okay, after that was my graduation. A surreal moment, as I finally became an MD. I'm now Dr. Cheng! Its so crazy, but its pretty neat. Graduation day is always built up with anticipation and then fizzes as everyone walks across the stage one by one, but the people don't let anyone cheer until after everyone walks. But, I have now taken the Hippocratic Oath, and will begin to fulfill my mission to reduce suffering and do no harm!

-------------------------------------------------

HONEYMOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Us with the Pitons in the background. We rented a Jeep for a day and explored the island. Behind us is the town of Soufriere, about 10 minutes from our resort.


Nicole chilling in one of the plunge pools at the Spa. The Spa was elevated, and had a breathtaking view of the bay and the Pitons. We got massages in outdoor cabanas, overlooking this view!


The bay and the beach that the resort is set upon. The boats are water taxis to take you to excursions or other parts of the islands. We lounged under the little huts on the beach. The water is crystal clear and full of fish and life!!


Us at Ladera, a different resort set even higher. This view is from their bar. Amazing.


This is from the helicopter that took us from the airport to the hotel. You can see the 2 Pitons, and the beach is in between the two. Oprah says seeing the Pitons is one of the 5 things you need to do in your life!

Oh man, it was absolutely awesome. We went to St. Lucia, an island in the Eastern Caribbean. We chose it because its an island that has mountains, lush rainforest, beautiful beaches - a really neat combination. We stayed at the Jalousie Plantation resort (www.jalousieplantation.com). We actually booked it through LuxuryLink (www.luxurylink.com), which has great auctions for vacation packages.

It was probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen in the world. Our resort lies between two mountains, right on the beach. These two mountains, the Pitons, overlook the Caribbean Sea. The resort has individual villas, and each villa has its own plunge pool. It also has a spa set up the mountain a bit, and a quiet, private beach. Each beach has little huts, and you are given a flag to raise anytime you want a waiter to come! Everyone in St. Lucia is so friendly. The island's chief exports are bananas, though they produce a lot of local spices and fruits. They even have 'soursop', a white flesh fruit that apparently is "natural Viagra". Tasted good!

See our pictures of our honeymoon:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbNWbFwzauHEg

Our honeymoon was very romantic, and we could not have asked for a better time!

--------------------------------------

After the honeymoon, we went to Tampa for Amy's graduation. We had a great time, and we are very proud of our little sister. She is graduating from the IB program of Hillsborough High, where she was the drum major of the band, and is going on to University of Florida pursuing aerospace or mechanical engineering. I'm sure she'll have a great time, and learn to grow up and be on your own a bit!

Then we were off to Dallas for Mark Mintz and Jen Kitner's wedding. They are the last of Nicole's group of friends from her Emory class to have gotten married. Now we are all married, its the popular thing to do! Congratulations to them!

Jason and Amy Rice
Mike and Beth Hatfield
Alex and Sarah Ho
Alan and Nicole Cheng
Mark Mintz and Jen Kitner

Perdido, Labor Day 2007, here we come!

Okay, thats enough for now. I really hate packing, but then again its exciting to be actually getting a house.

Doctor Cheng

No comments: