

I regret to say that Steve Burns, Nicole's uncle, died in a car crash this past Sunday. He, his wife Carey, and their 2 babies lived in Atlanta, and Nicole and I were very close to them, frequently going to their house for dinner or to walk the dogs or to hang out. It is so terrible to have lost him so suddenly. I feel so sad for Carey, and Warner (2 yrs) and Kate (6 mths), who are left behind. Sarah and I will be driving to Atlanta tomorrow, to meet up with Nicole, to attend his funeral. He was such a good person, so nice and caring, a great dad, and never deserved anything like this.
One especially shitty part is that Steve had been diagnosed with appendiceal cancer about a year ago. He went through chemotherapy, which was really tough, and finally just recently finished chemo and was starting to get better. And then this happened.
This has made me step back, and realize that life is so short. Can you imagine if, in a second, you lost your spouse? Or your mom? Or your child? One second here, the next, gone. Steve told Carey he was running to the store to get something, and then, he's gone.
It really shows you that you shouldn't worry about the little things, and you shouldn't get upset about the little things, because it all doesn't really matter. I shouldn't get upset at Nicole for some petty mistake...because what if those were the last words I ever got to say to her?
It's upsetting that it takes something of this magnitude to give me perspective. And even worse, I admit that even in the course of this week, I at times even forget the perspective, and revert back to letting small things bother me. I need to remind myself that LIFE REALLY IS SHORT. Enjoy it, seize it, relax, and love the people most important to you.
Steve was a lawyer, a partner in a neighborhood burrito joint, a husband and father, an animal lover, an uncle and mentor, and a wonderful person. We will miss him dearly.
Alan
1 comment:
i'm so sorry for such a tragic loss. it is unfortunate that it often takes these types of events to change (or renew) our own perspective/s on life.
remember - you do the best you can! as long as you let everyone you love know how much you love them...it is all good.
this horrible event will definitely be something you come back to as you relate to your (sometimes dying) patients. it will make you a better doctor, husband, brother, son, etc.
give our hugs to nicole as well.
Post a Comment